Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Sunday, June 3, 2007

You Know You're getting Old When...

Last Thursday was my 56th birthday. As if that wasn't enough, yesterday was the 40th anniversary of the release of the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." It was released in the UK on June 1st. Bob Stroud on WDRV, the Drive 97.1 FM had a Rock 'N Roll Roots Time Warp back to the June 3, 1967, and played the top songs from this day as well as cuts from albums we were listening to back then. He also interspersed the entire album in the show. I know some folks might not know what an album is.

What REALLY got to me was the cut "When I'm 64". You know, "Will you still love me, will you still need me, when I'm 64." The singer, Paul McCartney turned 64 awhile back, but that was ok because he was older than me. BUT, I just realized I WILL be 64 in EIGHT years!!!! As Garth Brooks sang on one of my favorite songs by him, "Much Too Young to Be This Damn Old."

On top of that, yesterday, I went to McHenry for my buddy Phil's 50th plus 1 birthday. They were too busy moving into their home last year to celebrate it so did it now. He did most of the work on rebuilding my old 1967 Pontiac Firebird convertible back in 1988. Wow, he's getting old.

I have known his family for a long time and had a great time talking with his mom, who is about the same age as Mom and, like Mom, really skunked me badly on Name that Tune for the Big Band Era. I just say, "Well, let's get into some of MY music and I'll show you what."

Making matters worse, Phil's sister said I had deejayed at her wedding TWENTY years ago. Hard to believe I've been doing that since 1982.

We lived in our first house in Round Lake Beach for 17 years from 1975 to 1992. We've been out here in Spring Grove for almost as long, 15 years now!!! That's a long time to live in a house, but not as long as Mom, who was born in her house and came back to live full time several years back.

Of course, I taught 7th grade essentially in the same building for 33 years.

By the way, the Drive streams live on the internet. If you're into the Summer of Love, which was also 40 years ago, he will have three more shows devoted to the summer of 1967, all the first Sunday of the month.

Growing Older, but Hopefully NOT UP!!!! --RoadDog

No comments: