Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, June 22, 2007

Top Songs This Date- 1970


While looking at the True Oldies website, I saw that they had a Silver Dollar Survey from this week in 1970. This was the much anticipated (for me at least) WLS list of top songs in Chicago.

1970

1. The Long & Winding Road- Beatles- too long and too slow
2. My Baby Loves Loving- White Plains- great early 70s AM music by One-Hit Wonders
3. Ride Captain Ride- Blues Image- a favorite- loved the refrain

4. Get Ready- Rare Earth- Can White Guys sing Soul, the answer is Yes!!
5. Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)- Melanie- this song always brings me back to that night after Kent State when I thought Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, where I was a freshman, was going to burn down during the riots. I remember hearing the campus station playing this song as the police were approaching the student line outside my dorm. There was yelling and lots of flashing lights.

6. The Love You Save- Jackson 5- gag!
7. Make Me Smile- Chicago- great horn band- originally Chicago Transit Authority. I remember cousin Joe playing the double album the first time I ever heard it. Only, he lived in Mt. Olive, NC, and I was in the Chicago suburbs. You'd think I would have heard it first.
8. Gimme Dat Ding- the Pipkins- really stupid, but try not to sing along with it.

That's Right, That's Right, I'm Sad and Blue, Cause I Can't Do the Boogaloo, So Gimme Dat Ding. --RoadDog

No comments: