Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Asleep At The Wheel--Live in Woodstock, Illinois


"Western Swing Ain't Dead, It's Asleep at the Wheel." That's what it says on the bumper stickers, tee shirts, and brochures. If there is a band anywhere that better represents this genre of music, I'd sure like to know who they are.

Ray Benson's band since 1970 had the packed Opera House in Woodstock, Illinois, rocking and swinging for almost two hours during their show last night. I was in one of probably the worst seats in the place, made even worse by the lady with the "big hair" that sat in front of me, but even then, I had a good view of the center of the stage and stage right.

I hadn't bought my ticket until about two weeks ago, the day of my first encounter with one of those 17 year cicadas. The couple next to me bought just the day before, and that is why we were in the "cheap seats" even though all seats were the same price, $28. If they come back, I will get my tickets right away. First row in the balcony will be my choice.

While waiting to go in, I walked around the beautiful town square and saw a lot of the sites from the film "Groundhog Day" that starred Bill Murray. Most of it was filmed right here in Woodstock which stood in for Punxsutawney, Pa., something that still irks the good folk there.

There is a Stage Left room attached to the Opera House (which was originally Woodstock's City Hall built in the 1890s). They were having an open mike night with some good performers.

The couple next to me were from Woodstock and had lived there for 22 years. She agreed with me that Illinois Route 47 is a nightmare as far as traffic, and they avoid it whenever possible. Fortunately, they know a lot of ways around it. She drives Bull Valley Road every day during the school year since she is a teacher at West McHenry High School. This is one of the most beautiful drives anywhere in Illinois.

Her husband had been an extra during the filming of "Groundhog Day". He said he was behind Andie McDowell in one scene at Gobbler's Knob, and had had to do about twelve takes on one scene by the bed and breakfast.

The show started right at 8PM, as advertised (I always hate it when you have to wait an hour or more for a performer to start their show). Ken Wilkins was the opening act and did a solo show for about 20 minutes. He said he played most Wednesdays at Stage Left and, after hearing him, I plan to see him. He has a great voice and included yodeling.

The Show will be continued.... --RoadDog

No comments: