Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Dumb Baby Robins


This has definitely been the year to have problems with robins. First, I had the mama robin who built her nest on a deck floodlight. I couldn't even go near that part of the deck without a big fuss. Then, there was another mama robin out by the southeast corner flowerbed. Then, another robin tried to build a nest on another deck light, right by the main sliding door we use to come in and go out. I was OD (on deck) enough that she gave up the idea.

Now, I am having problems with young robins while working in the yard. These are ones right out of the nest who don't quite have their wings yet and can't just fly away. They normally manage to slam into something, occasionally me. Their sudden movement also startles me a bit. Then, of course, mama and papa robin start their squawking.

Three times in the last week, I've had these young robins fly into the garage, panic, and then flutter around and making noise. Even with the garage doors wide open, they don't seem to grasp a possible escape route. Today, I had to get an old tee shirt and actually grab it, which got quite noisy. I took it outside, released it, and the dumb thing flew right back into the garage. I had to catch it again, and this time it stayed out, but I did have the parents swoop down on me.

Nothing Like a Dumb Robin to Make Your Day. --RoadDog

No comments: