Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, July 7, 2007

Good Times at Beach Fest 2007


Headed over to Round Lake Beach's new Cultural Center last night to see one of my all-time favorite Country Rock bands, Heartsfield. This was the village's third annual, although they didn't have it last year as the center was still in delayed construction.

There is a permanent stage on the east side of the building and a natural amphitheater. Great place to have a concert.

I had some time to kill so walked the grounds. WRLR FM, the area's low wattage radio station (but they broadcast over the internet) was there and doing a fundraising project. The deejays are not paid and get to do pretty much what they like. There are all sorts of shows from sports, talk, morning zoo., new country, old country, head music, polka, Big Band, and so forth. I enjoy listening to this station and can get it over the air here in Spring Grove, about ten miles away.

About twelve vendors were offering food. I went to one of my favorites, Sammie's, and had a $2 hot dog I'd put right up there with Nathan's. It came grilled to perfection and the bun was as well. Then there was a full array of condiments: sliced and chopped onions, pickle wedge, tomatoes, relish, mustard, and ketchup (no ketchup for me as I had the tomatoes). After my second one, I wasn't too happy to hear the owner say their Sammie Burger was a quarter pound of black angus meat. I wish I'd known that before the second dog.

Sammie's started in Chicago, then moved out to the northwest suburbs with one in Round Lake Beach on Rollins Road (they were formerly at the corner of Rollins and Cedar Lake, but that site is now occupied by a Walgreen's- now who would expect a Walgreen's to build on a corner?). There were four locations, but they sold one recently.

Good Times in My Old Town Where I Lived for 17 Years and Taught for 33. --RoadDog

No comments: