Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, July 2, 2007

Every Bloomin' Thing- July- Da Flowers, Da Color

As usual, the yard sure keeps me busy. I definitely overplanted. If I had a third as much to keep up with, that would be perfect. When I planted all the flower beds, I didn't consider that I was getting older. At the time we bought the house, I was 41. Now, I'm 56, and those 15 years make a BIG difference.

In May in June, the major colors were white and purple from the Shasta daisies and the wild phlox. Right now, it is yellow and white from the coreopsis, marguerettes, and regular daisies, with further oranges, and pinks, and reds from the daylillies and Asiatic lillies.

I try to keep the yard as one big blast of color from April to October, and, even if I do say so, I succeed.

Right now, all three different heights of regular daisies, which are much less non-invasive than the the shastas, are adding their white to the mix. I have the low ones growing along the edges, with mid and tall ones mixed around.

Margurettes are like a yellow Shasta daisy and very invasive as well. But like the shastas, they provide a real blast of color. I am going to greatly curtail the numbers of both for next year, or at least try. I've tried to do this the last several years with little success.

I'm also getting yellow from the coreopsis (tickweed). I have some other yellow perennial also pitching in as well as the groundcover sedum which has yellow spikes. The gladidoras are providing a blast of red/orange. Purple is provided by the clematis plants ( about six of them). I have shots of blue from a perennial as well as pincushion flowers. Red is coming off the 30 or so geraniums.

The Asiatic lilles and daylillies are all blooming now and I have a full spectrum of their colors. Several of the 150 purple coneflowers are starting to bloom (I'm guessing on the number, but that is probably close). I also have several hundred blackeyed Susans which are budding out. There is also a widespread perennial with pink flowers which is in bloom right now.

This all keeps me very busy, but it is a labor of love. One of the things I really enjoy is getting out on a sunny day ( even hot if there is a breeze), working in the dirt, and listening to tunes. Now that is a great time.

Tiptoein' Through the Flowers as I Have to Watch Where I put My Big Feet. --RoadDog

No comments: