Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Where Are the Nearest Places to Chicago for That Great Food?


The Tribune had a graphic and of the US and a table showing 8 different food places, closest location, miles, what they're known for, and if they are planning on coming to Chicago. I added my comments at the end.

CHICK-FIL-A- Racine, Wis.- 75 miles- chicken sandwiches, nuggets, waffle fries- around Christmas 2008.
I have eaten at a Chick-fil-A in Goldsboro, NC. They are good, but I like Popeye's better.

MAID-RITE- Rockford, Ill.- 80 miles- loose meat sandwiches (like sloppy joes, but less sloppy)- by Christmas.
I've had one at the Amana Colony in Iowa. This is a great sandwich. There is also one in
Springfield, Ill, that I plan to visit the next time we're there. A great Midwest tradition.

SONIC- Champaign, Ill- 136 miles- slushees drinks and Toasters (burgers using Texas toast)- within two years.
I've eaten at the one in Clinton, Oklahoma on a Route 66 cruise. Great food and slushes-very retro.

JACK IN THE BOX- Litchfield, Ill- 245 miles- Sourdough Jack sandwich, tacos, curly fries- no plans at this  point. We've been to this one many times. Both Liz and I are big fans of the Monster
Taco. We had Jack in the Boxes in the Chicagoland area at one time, but they've
all since pulled out. We got hooked at the one in Palatine, Ill, at the corner of Pala-
tine Road and Northwest Highway (US-14).

I remember a Jack in the Box opening at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb my
sophomore year. George, my roommate at the Delta Sig house, got a job there. It
was great excitement at the house when he got home after his night shift, as he
would bring home any leftovers. I, as first roommate, always got first choice. It
was a sad day when he quit.

We've eaten at the Litchfield one, even if we were full from eating at the Cozy Dog in
Springfield, about 50 miles away.

FATBURGER- Southfield, Mi.- 277 miles- the Fatburger, a one-third pound burger with all the fixins- fall
of 2007. Never had one of these.

WHATABURGER- Ridgeland, Ms.- Whataburger with cheese, Whatachick'n with bacon- no plans beyond
ten Southern states. I think we had one along Route 66, but can't remember for sure.

CHAROCHICKEN- Las Vegas- 1,760 miles- Fire-grilled chicken with lemon garlic butter--not for a long
time. Haven't heard of this one, but sounds like a place to check out next time
we're there.

IN-N-OUT BURGER- Las Vegas- 1,747 miles- the double-double- no time in the near future.
This chain has been around since the 50s, but only has stores in California,
Arizona, and Nevada. I'd never heard of them until I came across an obituary
on the co-founder and found it of interest. We ate at one in California on last
fall's Route 66 trip. Then, we ate at one of three located in Las Vegas. Well
worth a stop!!!

Gettin' Hungry Just Typing This. --RoadDog

No comments: