Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Buying Books That I Don't Need-- But the Price WAS Right

I have "sworn off" book purchases for the most part. I have lots and lots and lots of books that I haven't read, and it is not likely that I'll ever get around to reading. But, I just hate getting rid of even one. Who knows, maybe one of these days I'll read it.

However, in the last five days I have bought SIX books at that Half-Price Books store in Arlington Heights, Illinois. As Flip Wilson would say....

They are all on three of my favorite subjects: old roads, music, and the Civil War. That was mean to put them out for mostly $5 or $6.

MUSIC

(Earlier today I was listening to the Surf, 94.9 FM, out of North Myrtle Beach, SC, playing that great Beach Music. Now, I am listening to The Beach, 95.1 FM, WBPC, Panama City, Florida, which plays Beach Music and some pretty obscure oldies. Isn't the internet wonderful?)


THE BOOK OF HIT SINGLES: TOP 20 CHARTS FROM 1954 TO THE PRESENT DAY-- $5-- paperback-- A list of both UK and US Top 20 charts by month over all those years. Brings back the memories.

HEART AND SOUL: A CELEBRATION OF BLACK MUSIC STYLE IN AMERICA 1930-1975-- $6--hard cover-- Lots of pictures of black performers and groups as well as information. Some of the greatest music ever made: Joe Tex, Jackie Wilson, Billy Ward & His Dominoes featuring Clyde McPhatter and Jackie Wilson, Solomon Burke, Isley Brothers, Falcons, and O.V. Wright on just four pages.

More to Come. --RoadDog

From a Cop: "I'm glad to hear the chief of police is a personal friend of yours, so you know someone who can post your bail."

No comments: