Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, February 13, 2009

The End of an Era??

Yesterday, I turned down an offer to deejay a wedding, and Wednesday, I played what might be my last junior high dance at Santa Maria. I've been playing there since 1984, a long time. I wouldn't be surprised to find that some of the kids are the children of former students I played for. Now, the student council person I've worked with for so many years, Barb, is retiring as well.

I kind of knew this day was coming. It is getting hard to keep up with the new music and I am hopelessly behind on the technology. Hey, I still use cassettes. Some deejays still use CDs, but many now have the music on a laptop.

Plus, my equipment is getting old and cranky with its own little glitches. I'm guessing the newest items are from the mid-nineties, and the speakers from about 1990. Plus, all that stuff isn't getting any lighter.

Like the Old Coot on 66, Ernie Edwards, said when closing his Pig Hip Restaurant, "The equipment is getting old and so am I."

The End of An Era? Perhaps. --RoadDog

No comments: