Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, September 12, 2009

No More "BS-er"

I was VERY sad to see on Fessa John Hook's Endless Summer web site this morning that the Old BS-er, Billy Smith, had died.

I regularly listened to his morning show on 94.9 FM, the Surf, in North Myrtle Beach, SC, ever since we got the internet. I first heard him on WNMB back in the 80s when we would sit at the pool, soaking up the sun, occasionally jumping in, and having a few suds at the Sea Nymph Motel, back when it was a place you didn't mind staying. I even saw him a few times.

Just an outstanding talent, a guy who could make you laugh, and whose knowledge of Beach Music and oldies was limitless. I always felt he was a kindred spirit to my own, only of a higher order.

I noticed that the last several weeks that Ted Bell had his morning show, but figured he was on a vacation.

Like his sign-off song, "But, I'll Be Back." In my memories, anyway. By the way, BS-er stood for his initials, but he also had a knack for the other stuff as well.

Billy Smith, He'll Be Greatly Missed. --RoadDog

No comments: