Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Sunday, December 15, 2019

WLS Top 40 for December 15, 1969-- Part 3: "And When I Die"


Fifty Years Ago.

30.  SHE--  Tommy James / Shondells     #23    Not one of their better known songs.  But repeated listenings and it grows on you.

29.  AND WHEN I DIE --  Blood, Sweat & Tears     #2    More horns,  more harmonica.  Takes me back to those good old days at NIU.  Written by Laura Nyro.   The last of three straight #2s.

28.  TAKE A LETTER MARIA--  R.B. Greaves      #2    Another defining song from the era for me.    One of the comments on the video said that he had a friend in Vietnam who dedicated it to his soon-to-be ex-girlfriend.  His biggest hit.

27.  BARBARA I LOVE YOU--  New Colony Six    #78    Slow song from one of those great 1960s Chicago bands with Ronnie Rice singing upfront.  One comment said that the Association was singing the background vocals, but I don't know.   Both WLS and WCFL really pushed our local bands.

26.  JINGLE JANGLE--  Archies     #10    Pop Music.  Bubble Gum Music?    A fun song, though.  Their second biggest hit after, of course "Sugar, Sugar."

Name That Tune (from the above songs):  "Last Night As I Got Home About A Half Past Ten."  Answer below.  --RoadDog


"Take A Letter Maria"

No comments: