Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Bad Place to Trick or Treat


Our subdivision, Orchard Bluff Estates in Spring Grove, Illinois, would not be my first choice of places to trick or treat. As matter of fact, if I were a kid, I'd ask my parents to take me to another subdivision. Logistically, it is a nightmare. There is just TOO much ground that has to be covered to get a candy return on our efforts.

The problem is that we are a subdivision of one acre lots. Now that is true joy to the McHenry County tax collector who sees the word acre and thinks "Cash Cow." Plenty of money to be milked here. My property tax surely reflects this.

However, this is way too much territory to cover if you're in the business of acquiring candy. Plus, the majority go back to the street instead of cutting across yards, even more candy collectin' time lost.

Now, what I would do would be to get my parents to take me to one of the canyon subdivisions. You know the ones where all the homes are on postage stamp-sized lots and go straight up to save land. You feel like you're driving through a canyon in these places. The great thing is that they're right next to each other. MAXIMUM candy ACQUISITION time.

I know my brother and I carefully mapped out our plan of attack to get the maximum in the minimum. That included taking mental notes of the "great" houses where the candy was the best for a possible return visit.

Then, Again, an Apartment Complex Would Even be Better. --RoadDog

No comments: