Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, October 26, 2007

Just Got Back-- Carolina-Style BBQ, Philly Cheese Steak, and Autumn at Topsail


I was gone and On the Road the last two weeks from October 11th to the 25th.

The first day, I drove to Cincinnati via Illinois Highway 47 and I-74. Got together with road buddy Denny and had a great chicken meal at the Silver Spring House which dates to the 1930s. Then played NTN with his team at Buffalo Wild Wings and we had three Number threes on some games I really wasn't able to help much on as they were movies.

October 12th- Friday-- Drove on two of the great two laners I've ever been on, both in southern highway, Ohio 247 and Ohio 125. Talk about your roads following the contours of the land. Plus, 125 went through the beautiful Shawnee State Park. Caught I-64 and took it to the West Virginia Turnpike. I know that we two lane types disparage the interstates, or, Superslabs, as we call them. But, this drive is equal in beauty to anything a two lane can offer. I'd put it right up there with I-70 from where it starts in Utah , to Denver.

Took I-74 past Andy Griffith's hometown of Mt. Airy, NC, and picked up I-40 at Winston-Salem and all the way to Raleigh. I-40 is some of the heaviest driving you'll find anywhere. I mean, there are a LOT of cars and trucks on this road. Never a real pleasure to drive this road because of the congestion.

Decided to stop and get my first taste of Carolina-style pulled pork vinegar-based bbq at Smithfield's in Mebane, NC, about 12 miles east of Burlington. There are about twenty stores in this chain, many along interstates, so if you're ever int he area and would like to find out what I'm talking about, give it a try. Nothing like bbq, cole slaw, hush puppies, and sweet tea. Now, that's good eatin', or as Andy would say, "Gooooooodddd."

Got to Mom's after getting a bit lost in Goldsboro, as usual.

Drove 985 miles over these past two days.

Gas was usually around $2.80 with a high of $2.95 in Elburn, Illinois, and a low of $2.54 just south of Wytheville, Virginia. For some reason, this is always cheaper. They must actually have competition to sell that gas.

On Da Road Again, Even if It Was Mostly Superslab. --RoadDog

1 comment:

EHT said...

NC BBQ is good but GA BBQ is better! Thanks for visiting Georgia On My Mind.

I have a history blog, too.

Enjoy that retirement...it sounds like Heaven.