Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Da Cubs, Three and Out, Maybe They Pay TOO Much


Da Cubs were like Da Bears during the first quarter of the Packer game Sunday night. In the NLDS against the Arizona Diamondbacks, there was nothing, then three and out. Three straight losses.

Well, at least I don't have to wear that Cubs hat. I told my friends that I would actually wear it if the Cubs got to the World Series. That is no longer a problem. I have never, to my knowledge, worn anything with Cubs on it. I do pull for the lads, though. They are my second favorite team. Da Sox are my favorite and the less said about this past season for them, the better.

An article in the Sunday Chicago Tribune by Dave Van Dyck compared what the Cubs and Diamondbacks paid for their players. Contracts for Arizona's 25 man roster totalled about $35 million, including $7 million to Saturday's winning pitcher Livan Hernandez. Their starting eight on Saturday earned a total of less than $14 million, led by Eric Byrnes' $4.5 million. Five players were making less than $400,000 each (the major league minimum is $380,000.

In comparison, Alfonso Soriano, Derrek Lee, and Aramis Ramirez combines for $30 million.

Then again, there's the New York Yankees who were eliminated last night by the Indians. You want to talk about a group of high salaries that under perform.  That is definitely alright with me as I really, really don't like those guys.

Plus, it seems like whenever the Cubs give out a super-salary, it backfires. Look at Carlos Zambrano this year after his big pay day. Then, last season, Derrek Lee was injured shortly after his big contract. Then, there was always Kerry Woods and Mark Prior's huge contracts that fizzled. Talk about your getting paid for nothing.

There was an interesting article about sites all Cub fans should visit while in Chicago. It is on my other blog at http://www.roaddogsroadlog.blogspot.com/ .

Well, I Suppose There's Always NEXT Year. --RoadDog
wait

No comments: