Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Old Folks Dancing...Well, Older Anyway


Last night, Liz and I went to the Fox Lake American Legion for the Veterans Day Dance. It featured the Lakes Area Community Swing Band, a sixteen piece group with two singers who volunteer their time doing what they evidently really love. This is a very tight group and we had quite a show. They did lots of Glenn Miller and Rat Pack songs, especially those of Frank Sinatra.

It cost $5 a person or $8 a couple to get in. I didn't much like all the reserved tables. Hope they had to pay more. We also had hors-doeuvres which were attacked en masse. Now, I'm a pretty good hors-doevrer, I mean, I always get my share, but these folks made me look like I didn't know how to get any. They were fast. I did not know old people could move that fast.

The floor was full most of the time, especially on the slow songs. Also, a lot of them enjoyed the polkas. The mirror ball dappled the floor, walls, and folks. We had a really fun time and talked with a lot of our friends. Naturally, this was mostly attended by us older folks. I was especially glad to see a lot of seventy and even a few eighty year-olds enjoying themselves, and some even dancing. We are fast-losing the "Greatest Generation" to the ages now.

This was definitely something that the few WWII vets and those of the Korean War could enjoy.

Big Band and Swing, Now, There's Some Mighty GOOD Stuff. --RoadDog

No comments: