Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

And I Didn't Even get a Lousy Pen!!


Yesterday, I closed my checking account at NorState Banking in Round Lake. I had the account since June of 1975, a total of more than 32 years. That is a long time to be with the same bank.

Until two years ago, it was the First State Bank of Round Lake, and I was with them from their original site in downtown Round Lake on Il Route 34. I was also there when they opened the beautiful and much larger bank by the intersection of Rollins and Cedar Lake roads.

This kind of longevity just doesn't happen much any more. Not to mention this much loyalty, even when I could get better deals elsewhere. I was there.

You'd think I would have some kind of acknowledgement for all this time. There was none. They were very nice about it and asked why I was closing. I explained. But that was it. No thank you. Not even a little, bitty old pen. Nada. Nothing.

Well, it is the new corporate order. Loyalty is no longer a virtue. Loyalty is no longer rewarded. This is an unpleasant reality.

Hey, I taught for 33 years in the same school district, 31 in the same building and would have done all 33 in it, except they closed it down when a new junior high was built. You won't see that kind of loyalty with teachers either.

I Guess This Old Dinosaur Has Outlived His Era. Thank Goodness I'm Retired. --RoadDog

No comments: