Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, December 3, 2010

Ron Santo 1940-2010

Liz came in this morning to wake me up saying that WGN TV was running a special on Ron Santo, one of my all-time favorite baseball players from one of my all-time favorite teams, the 60s Cubs.

I was sleeping in late getting over all the driving I did the last two days, just short of 1200 miles. It then occurred to me, "Uh-oh, a special on Ron Santo, that is never good, especially this time of the year." I had to ask, "Did he die?"

Yes, he did.

If there was ever a player who was the Cubs before they became Yuppified, Ron Santo was the guy. Sure, you've got your Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Fergie Jenkins, Glen Beckert and others, and they were all great, but Ron Santo was my guy. He was always my favorite, especially after I got to meet him way back in 1967.

With his stats, it was always a complete shame he wasn't in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

And, I'm Not Finished Yet. --RoadDog


A Great Person.

No comments: