Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Fox Lake/Grant Township Historical Society Meeting Today: Thanks a Lot, Bob

It starts at the museum in Ingleside, Illinois, in 45 minutes.  This is real history at its most local roots.

Today's topic will be Show and Tell where members bring along something historical to do that old school thing.

I am bringing several of the Beatles' first albums since we are in the 50th and 51st anniversaries of their arriving in America in 1964 and 1965.  They sure had an impact on me.  Before they came, I didn't listen to pop music at all.  Of course, being in seventh grade when they came meant that there was no way I could avoid them even had I wanted to do so.

I eventually had all the Beatles albums and was very proud of them and really took care of them, making sure I never touched the grooves.  I was so finicky about them that I left them at home when I went off to Northern Illinois University.  I was afraid they would get all scratched.  Little did I know that my brother would mess them up at home while I was gone.

Wendy Rice is back to 1967 on her Saturday Morning Flashback show on Chicago's WXRT, 93.1 FM.  She just played "New York Mining Disaster 1941" by whom I thought to be the Beatles back then, but it turned out to be the Bee Gees.  It streams until noon, CDST.

Thanks A Lot, Bob.  --RoadDog


YOU MIGHT BE A YANKEE IF:  You've never, ever, eaten okra, either fried or boiled.





No comments: