Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Ellas Otha Bates and Shel Talmy, Songwriters You May Not Have Heard of Before

I have recently been buying a lot of old Kinks CDs.  I have always liked them, but essentially just in the 60s, "Lola" and a couple songs from the 80s.  But I have found out they were quite good in between and up until they may or may not have broken up.

This one CD i was listening to had, along with a lot of songs written by that Ray Davies guy, one written by an Ellas Otha Bates and several by a  Shel Talmy.  I looked them up.

Ellas Otha Bates had written a song called "Cadillac."  I had only previously heard it by a Chicago group called New Colony Six back in the 60s.  A great car song, especially with them spelling it out.  The Kinks did a great version as well.  I found out that Ellas Otha Bates was none other than one Bo Diddley.

Shave and a Haircut, Today.  --RoadDog

YOU JUST MIGHT BE A YANKEE IF:  For breakfast, you would prefer potatoes au gratin to grits.

No comments: