Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Labor Day Weekend 1967 Time Warp Part 3


Final Hour of Bob Stroud's Rock 'n Roll Roots. Every Sunday 7 AM to 10 CST on 96.9 FM, the Drive. I highly suggest listening to this show if you are into music from the 60s and 70s. I doubt that there is anyone who knows more about that music. He streams live at http://www.wdrv.com/

Once I heard him tell why he got into deejaying. He said he always ended up playing the songs on the record player at parties and decided that he might as well earn some money from it. That was exactly why I started deejaying.

These songs are sure bringing back a lot of memories.

Light My Fire-- Doors--- (My first introduction to this band. "Light My Fire" was good, but I always liked "Alabama Drinking Song" better.

Thank the Lord for the Night Time-- Neil Diamond--- (I liked his earlier songs like this and "Cherry, Cherry" better than his later ones like "Holly Holy".

Astronomy Domine-- Pink Floyd---From intro-Psychedelia had been around about ten months, but with the August release of this album, the musical trip was taken to a whole new dimension. They called themselves Pink Floyd and were headed by Syd Barrett. Their debut album here in the U.S. was "Piper at the Gates of Dawn." The named themselves after a couple of elder blues statesmen: Pink and Floyd. (I even bought this album at the time. I liked it, but that was the only Pink Floyd album I bought until the late 80s. Their music got to a bit too far-out for these Motown, country rock ears.)

Reflections-- Supremes--- One of those great Motown groups that I so loved to listen to and watch those great dance steps and movements up there on stage. That choreography was absolutely entrancing, a whole lot better than the overdone productions of today's divas. Listening to the Surf right now and Billy Smith, one of my favorite deejays, is playing "Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch (I Can't Help Myself)" by the Four Tops. I really LOVE that Motown. Thanks, Berry Gordy, for bringing it to us.)

It Could Be We're in Love-- Cryan Shames--- #1 for four straight weeks. (Another great Chicago group. Another one of Liz and my songs. I first met Liz in October, 1967,  and started going steady on December 15th, so these songs all have significance in our relationship.)

Twelve Thirty-- Mamas and Papas--- Another stunning composition from John Phillips. (I really liked his wife, Michelle. She was VERY easy on the eyes.)

Baby You're a Rich Man-- Beatles--- The band whose album really set the Summer of Love in Motion. This was the B-side of "All You Need is Love."

Baby I Love You-- Aretha Franklin--- (The Queen of Soul. Great song, but my favorite remains "Chain of Fools" and I loved the continuing bit on Murphy Brown of "(You Make Me feel Like a) Natural Woman," and who can forget that great version of "Think" on the "Blues Brothers."   I can still see Blue Lou playing that sax down the counter.)

Motorcycle Song-- Arlo Guthrie--- Legendary folk singer Woody Guthrie's son released his debut album in 1967. His name Arlo, his album "Alice's Restaurant." (At first, I was afraid Bob was going to play the title track which would have taken way too long. "You can get anything you want at ...." Love that Officer Obie and all those black and white glossies.)

Words-- Monkees--- B side of "Pleasant Valley Sunday." (Talk about your two-sided hits!)

Requiem for the Masses-- Association--- B-side of "Never My Love" One of the more sobering experiences included in the "Insight Out" album. An unlikely war protest song from an unlikely group. (Probably my favorite Association song. Definitely not what you'd expect from this band which was more known for ballads and light weight songs like "Windy." Comparing the war to bullfighting is a unique approach. I loved the way it started out with an a capella chant. Liz, Kris, and I did a report Senior year for Mr. Denny on pop music and the world, and this was one of the songs we used for it.)

Ode to Billy Joe-- Bobbie Gentry--- The number one song in Chicago Labor Day weekend 1967, the Summer of Love. Just what the heck did he throw off the Tallahatchee Bridge anyway. (Bob always closes his Time Warps with the number 1 song in Chicago that day.)

Sure Enjoyed this Show. --RoadDog

No comments: