Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

OK, Now It's Snow's Cut Bridge

That's my big problem when I get into something, I keep branching out, branching out, until sometimes I don't even know where I am.

Now, I'm on that Snow's Cut Bridge which I mentioned always signaled my arrival at beloved Carolina Beach.

This is one magnificent and high bridge, and the only bridge that connects what is now called Pleasure Island which is Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, and Fort Fisher. At one time there was no need for a bridge as these beaches were on a peninsula, but with the cut across from the Cape Fear River to the sounds for the Intercoastal Waterway, these communities suddenly became an island.

The bridge was built in 1961 and I don't know how they got to the island before that, even though I'm sure I was in the car when we went over it. In the aftermath of the bridge collapse in Minnesota, Snow's Cut Bridge was checked and on a 1-100 scale, came out at a 62. Bridges like this one have an expectancy of 50 years, so it is past that.

No set replacement plan is in effect right now.

From the August 27, 2007 Island Gazette.

Hopefully Over and Not Down. --RoadDog

No comments: