Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

St. Patrick's Day Weekend

Friday, I deejayed for a big crowd at the Fox Lake American Legion. Played Nothing but Irish music for two hours, then switched to mostly 70s and 80s country music. Had a lot of dancing and partying, not to mention a great heaping plate of corned beef and cabbage as prepared by those two great cooks, John and Bob. I keep trying to get them to open a restaurant. That'd sure be some good eating. Cost of the plate was $8, up from $6 last year, but what hasn't gone up? Because of it being Lent, you could also purchase cod or catfish.

Yesterday, I spent the afternoon in Lake Villa, deejaying for the 15th annual St. Patrick's Day Parade and celebration. This is my 14th year at George's Cedar Inn located right on Main Street. This is a real bar, not one of your TGIFs or Applebees. There is nothing elegant about it, just a place dating back to the early 1900s.

To give you an idea of its age, I had a problem plugging in as all the outlets are two-pronged. I usually have a converter, but not today. Finally found a place I could plug in.

They have the best corned beef and cabbage I've ever had, And, it's all-you-can eat!!!! for $7. As usual, the place was packed and hopping after the parade with lots of green beer, Jamisons, and food consumed.

The owner, George Pederson, was one of the two people who started the parade 15 years ago. Most of the post-parade celebrating has moved over to the much-bigger VFW, but, we still do our part.

Again, I played Irish music for the first two hours, then switched over to a mix of country and oldies. A few jigs were danced.

I'm getting a bit tired of Irish music, but, hey, it's only once a year.

Turnin' Green a Bit at a Time. --RoadDog

Getting My Irish On.

No comments: