Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Here a Mullet, There a Mullet, Ate a Mullet

This is not to be confused with Billy Ray Cyrus' old haircut.

I kept hearing about mullets being eaten while I was at Gulf Shores, Alabama, right along the Gulf of Mexico. I kind of regarded it as a joke, ranking right up there with carp or sheep head as far as an eating experience.

Mullets are found in coastal areas all around the world. They are called striped or black mullet in the south and considered a delicacy along the coasts of the Florida Panhandle and Alabama. Most often they are eaten fried.

They do not keep well after they are caught. If kept on ice, they might keep for up to 72 hours. After that, they become inedible.

But I kept hearing people talk about them and seeing advertisements for places serving them. I had to give it a try.

Our last day there, Suds & Sea, had a $7.99 all-you-can eat special on fried mullet, so we, or I should say, I, gave it a taste. Liz would have nothing to do with it. Suds & Sea is located just a few buildings down from the Best Western where we stayed. It is built right on the beach and perched high up on pier poles.

They had just been caught today and came with cole slaw and a heaping side of fries. They were excellent. I highly recommend them to fish lovers. Judging by the large crowd chowing down on them, I'd have to say this is quite a popular item.

Be very hungry if you plan on ordering more. I asked for just a little more and got another plate of fillets.

A place down the coast from Gulf Shores is called Flor-abama because it is right on the Florida and Alabama border. They have Intra-State mullet tosses. I didn't get to see this but heard it is quite hilarious. Probably something like tossing eggs.

So There You Mullet. --RoadDog

No comments: