Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Where Were You January 9, 1967?-- Part 1

Yesterday, Bob Stroud did a Time Warp to that date in 1967 and 1977 on his Rock and Roll Roots program on WDRV in Chicago.

As usual, it took me back and I even heard two songs from '67 that I don't remember hearing then.

On January 9, 1967, I was a sophomore at Palatine High School in Palatine, Illinois, and taking the bus to school. At the time, I had a broken foot I'd gotten in wrestling the previous month.

I had gotten one of those hockey games where you pushed and pulled your metal players around the rink for Christmas and was getting quite good at it. As a matter of fact, no one could beat me. I had all that time to practice.

My brother was mad because I also got out of doing chores like shoveling snow. Little did he realize the Great Chicago Blizzard of 1967 was on its way. He still hasn't forgiven me for that one. He claims I broke my foot on purpose to get out of shoveling. I just smiled as he trudged out the door, snow shovel in hand and mumbling stuff under his breath.

As usual, Bob Stroud's comments first and mine are in parentheses.

These were songs playing on our radio in Chicago Jan. 9, 1967, on either WLS or WCFL.


PUSHIN' TOO HARD-- SEEDS-- out of Los Angeles, California. (And as good of garage rock as you can get. Poor Sky Saxon, the group's leader died June 25, 2009. His death was completely overshadowed by the death of Michael Jackson that same day.))
STANDING IN THE SHADOWS OF LOVE-- FOUR TOPS-- Follow up to "Reach Out, I'll Be There."

TELL IT TO THE RAIN-- FOUR SEASONS-- The Four Tops weren't the only Fours in your radio. (You know, those Jersey Boys.)
TELL IT LIKE IT IS-- AARON NEVILLE-- (From that great singing and playing neville family.)

More to Come. --RoadDog


YOU'RE A FLORIDIAN IF...you know the four seasons are really hurricane season, the love bug season, tourist season and summer.

No comments: