Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Summer of 1971, July-- Part 1

July 3rd, Bob Stroud played part 2 of his annual salute to summers 40 years past. These were songs on the radio or in your record (as in albums (33 and a thirds) and singles (45s) collections the first weekend in July.

I was in Dunwoody, Georgia, at the time after going to Northern Illinois for my first two years in college. My parents had moved to Georgia when Dad got transferred by Quaker Oats. I was going to transfer to the University of Georgia for junior year as I always wanted to go to a southern school.

However, before I went to Georgia, I had to do a six week stint with the United States Marine Corps at Quantico, Virginia in their PLC program, Platoon Leaders Class. Six weeks this summer and six weeks next summer and I would be commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant and then go to six months of training.

I was in the program because I had a draft lottery number 22 which meant I was going to be drafted and go to Vietnam War. And that war was never going to end. It had started while I was in junior high, gone on all through high school, and so far the first two years of college.

As Bob Stroud said, "One of my favorite years musically and one of my favorite summers sentimentally. It seemed like there was just always a brand new song out each week that was really a killer. And the music was always taking a step forward, beginning to push artistic boundaries." He then played a Carly Simon and a Jethro Tull song which will be listed later.

I'll start the list tomorrow.

Take Me Back. --RoadDog


YOU MIGHT BE FROM CHICAGO IF...You know what goes on a "Chicago" hot dog.

No comments: