Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, November 7, 2011

Meet-A-Vet, A Football Game and a New Place

This past Saturday, I went to the American Legion in Fox Lake, Illinois, for their second annual Meet-A-Vet Day. I had long talks with a survivor, Al Zalent, of the sinking of the USS Princeton, an aircraft carrier at the Battle of the Philippines. I also had an interesting discussion with Burton Showers who was a member of General MacArthur's staff during World War II. I will be writing about them in my history blog.

Then caught the last half of the Richmond-Burton Rockets-Mendota Trojans Class 4A IHSA Football Playoff game in Richmond. The Rockets were losing 7-0 when I arrived, but scored and led at half 10-7. They went on to win 37-19 and will go on to face Evergreen Park in the 3rd round this Saturday.

Everyone was invited to a pizza party at Turtle Creek Banquets in Spring Grove, so I went home and got Liz. It was auce for $5. We had heard about the place, but never been. This was a good opportunity to see it. The place is on 23 acres and has a huge North Woods-style lodge. Pretty impressive.

Last stop was Tommy's where we watched Northwestern upset Nebraska and then home where I watched that boring #1 LSU vs. #2 Alabama game at Margaritaville.

A Good Day. --RoadDog

No comments: