Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, September 15, 2014

200th Birthday of the Star-Spangled Banner

And here I was thinking it was today, the 15th, but actually was yesterday.  Oh, well.  Let me congratulate the song and country now (otherwise I would have written about it yesterday, even though I usually don't do the blogs on Sundays).

I still have two flags that have been up since 9-11.

For an excellent short account of the history of the song, check out Wikipedia.

And, of course, in my humble opinion, Chicago has the very best "Star-Spangled Banner" singer, the Blackhawks' Jim Cornelison.  I imagine there is a You-Tube video of him singing it.  It is an experience with cheering and yelling throughout the whole thing.  And then, that voice!!!

We had the pleasure of seeing and hearing him last Saturday at the NIU-Northwestern football game.  

I also really liked the Jimi Hendrix version from Woodstock.

A Big Happy Birthday to That Great Song.  --RoadDog

No comments: