Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, December 7, 2007

December 7th, 1941, a Day That Shall Live in Infamy-- Pt 2


For years, my students would have a two or three day mini unit on Pearl Harbor this time of the year. Too many did not know anything about it or its significance. This included readings, maps, a careful look at pictures, and so forth. The excellent Junior Scholastic magazine for students had a very good article on it and I kept the issue for use.

Today, I did my bit to say thanks to our veterans when I helped out at the Fox Lake, Illinois, American Legion Post 703 when we hosted 71 people from the North Chicago VA Hospital.

There was a lot of history in our banquet room with veterans spanning back to WWII all the way to the current wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. I would have liked to talk especially with the WWII vets and perhaps record their memories, but they were having too much fun.

They were treated to a full turkey dinner as prepared by our bar manager John, a really great cook. Pumpkin squares topped off the feast. Then we had a raffle.

Both before and after lunch, we had karaoke. The guy who ran it donated his services. We had some great efforts and moves, especially on the Temptations' "My Girl" and Smokey Robinson's "Tracks of my Tears."

One young woman got up and sang a rousing version of Michael Jackson's "Bad." During the instrumental break, she got out on the floor and did a Michael Jackson dance routine to the standing applause of the people. Two people at my table said she was usually a very quiet and reserved person. But, put a mike in front of her and, presto, a wild woman.

I believe these folks truly enjoyed themselves and none wanted to leave at the end.

Bless Our Veterans and Current Armed Forces. --RoadDog

No comments: