Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Who Was Joe Shlabotnik? --Part 2

Poor old Charlie Brown was trying valiantly to trade his cards for one Joe Shlabotnik. And what a group of cards that he was trying to trade. The names sure brought back memories, especially in these days where I hardly know any players outside of the Sox and Cubs.

Maybe these guys will bring back memories for those of us who tend to be a bit older.

The List:

Whitey Ford
Mickey Mantle
Robin Roberts
Luis Aparicio (Sox)
Juan Pizarro (Sox)
Nellie Fox (Sox)
Frank Lary
Al Kaline
Jerry Lumpe
Harmon Killebrew
Willie Mays
Orlando Cepada
Maury Wills
Sandy Koufax
Frank Robinson
Bill Mazeroski
Warren Spahn
Hank Aaron
Duke Snider
Stan Musial
Ernie Banks (Cubs)

Lucy kept turning him down. Poor Charlie throws most of his cards down and, head down with disappointment, walks away saying, "For five years I've been trying to get a Joe Shlabotnik! My favorite baseball player, and I can't get him on a bubble gum card...Five years! My favorite player..."

Lucy walks away looking at her Joe Shlabotnik card. The last panel, she says, "He's not as cute as I thought he was," and throws it in the trash can.

Poor Charlie Just Can't get a Break. --RoadDog


SENIOR BUMPER SNICKERS: Goodbye Tension. Hello Pension!!

2 comments:

Empoprises said...

I lived in Evanston as a young boy, and in the back of my mind I always thought that the Peanuts gang lived somewhere in northern Illinois. I was shocked in later life to learn that Schulz lived in California.

One other baseball player with whom Charlie Brown was associated was Joe Garagiola, who made an entertainment career out of supposedly having Charlie Brown-like talent as a baseball player. I suspect that Shlabotnik's first name of "Joe" was either intentional or subliminal.

P.S. I remember watching a kiddie show in 1969 (the Ray Rayner show I believe) in which the host shared the baseball standings. For much of that year the Cubs were in first place, but by the end of the year, the Mets had overtaken them. I left Illinois a few months later, and therefore didn't get completely infected with Cub Fever.

RoadDog said...

Joe Garagiola defintely could be the infamous Joe S. It would make sense.

Or possibly Bob "Must be in the Front Row" Uecker who had the audacity to fill in for Harry in the 7th inning stretch and sing "Root, Root for the Brewers" at Wrigley.

I didn't get burned on the Cubs '69 collapse as I hadn't gotten over the Sox '67 collapse yet.