Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, May 31, 2013

Seven Years of Retarred-ment Today: Round Lake Gets Out for the Summer

Last day of school in Round Lake, Illinois, today.  That makes Sue mighty happy as this is her last day of teaching with that retirement thing looming (although for teacher retirees, it doesn't begin until school reopens in August, something about that summer vacation thing, you know).

I might go over to Docker's for the Round Lake Magee and Middle School get-together.  Always great to see old friends, especially the ones joining the retired world.

This marks the seventh year I've been retired (re-tarred).  People were asking me before I retired in 2006, if I was worried about not having anything to do when I quit teaching.  I'd tell them that should be no problem.  I'd had 33 years of practice during the summers and was really good at not working.  As a matter of fact, one of the reasons I also retired from deejaying in 2010 was that it was getting in the way of being retired.  (Well, that and the fact that I was just a little bit out of the times and still using cassette tapes.)

Looking back at my 1983 journal, I see that June 2nd was the last day of school in my tenth year of teaching.  I commented about how much easier the check-out experience was than it had been the first three years.  I then went to an Ellis end-of-the-year party in Wauconda and then to the first meeting of the new Northern Illinois Civil War Round Table in Mt. Prospect, which I had a role in starting.


WHERE DOES ALL THE TIME GO?

As a matter of fact, I have come to wonder how I managed to do so much when I was still working as I sure don't have enough time now (although I'm fairly sure "I'll do it tomorrow'" has something to do with it).

Of course, when I retired I had no blogs, which take up way too much time now.  But, I've always liked to do research and that is a big part of the blogs, all seven of them.

Back in the teaching days, we had an end-of-the-year party every last day.  We had the last one in 2006 and never again.  Kelly and Kevin have, however, taken up the tradition very well and we're going over to their place tomorrow afternoon for it.  Then, of course, Da Hawks.

Retirement...Not for Everyone.  Somebody's Got to Do It.  Just the Guy to Do It.  --RoadDog


TOO PUNNY:  A backward poet writes inverse.

No comments: