Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Dirty Dancing in Middle School?

Well, I don't know about the dirty dancing, but I do know a lot of today's music is unsuitable for playing at schools. And since I have and still do deejaying at middle school dances, I ought to know.

What brought this up was an article in the February 13th Chicago Tribune about the Frankfort, Illinois, Park District calling off the rest of this year's dances because of inappropriate dancing among the kids.

If you want to know why they dance this way, tune in MTV.

I don't really notice any inappropriate dancing when I deejay, but then, there are those explicit songs in both lyrics and often language. And the kids REALLY want to hear these songs. I won't play them which doesn't make the kids too happy.

One in particular that they want to hear these days is "Crank It" by Soulja Boy. I wish I had a buck for every time a kid requests it. They usually understand when I explain why I won't play it.

I usually don't listen to the songs of today very much, but tune in to countdowns before I have a middle school job. I like to know what I'm playing.

These songs are just not appropriate for play in any school, much less a religious one.

The Little Old Song Censor, Me. --RoadDog

No comments: