Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Got to Celebrate Mardi Gras Anyway-- Bon Ton Roulet ZYDECO!!!

Sitting here right now listening to C.J. Chenier's "I Ain't No Playboy" cassette. That's right, I said cassette!!! For those of you who don't know, CJ is the son of the "King of Zydeco," Clifton Chernier. His dad was one of the founders of this music we call zydeco. Zydeco could best be described as a mix of rock and roll and traditional Cajun music with Louisiana overtures.

Being as how this is Cajun music, some of the songs are sung in French, a language that at one time was illegal to even speak in Louisiana in an attempt to anglicize the Arcadians.

You can always tell where a zydeco band is playing as that is where people will be jumping and moving. I don't think it is possible to hear this music without moving to it.

Last Saturday, while in Woodstock for the Groundhog Day Festival, I spent $25 apiece for 7th row seats to see CJ and his Red Hot Louisiana Band. The show was last night.

I checked my collection for CJ Chernier albums (well cassettes and CDs) and found that I had two different cassettes and three CDs (four actually, but one was a duplicate). Two of the CDs were already stocked in my Ultimate Jukebox.

One cassette is out in the car where we listened to it coming and going to the show last night.

The three CD titles are: Too Much Fun, The Big Squeeze, and I Ain't No Playboy. The last two are in my jukebox.

Au Contraire, Mon Frere. --Road "Zydeco Boogaloo" Dog

No comments: