Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Is It Just Me, But Has the Time to Start Worrying Arrived

Our economy definitely has me more than just a little bit worried, and I've been around awhile. I've lived through some rough times in the 60s with the Vietnam War, the fuel crisis of 1973, and high interest rates (right when we wanted to buy a house). But none of that worried me more than I am right now.

Prices just keep going up. Everytime you turn around, someone is announcing they're raising prices.

A trip to the old grocery store is frightening when you get to the cash register. Dining costs have risen. And then there is the joy of filling your gas tank. On top of that, taxes!! Sales tax of 9 to 10 % is becoming common. Oh yes, around here, one problem is property taxes. We are going to hit $8,000 a year this summer. When I finally paid off the house a few years ago, I was paying as much in mortgage as I was for property taxes.

Then, there are SO Many people trying to get rich as fast as possible, with little concern of what that is going to do to others.

Here, I refer to Day traders, Commodity Exchange people, Big Oil, and some real estate people. Don't get me started on the CEO and Boards of Directors situation.

If I had to start somewhere, it would have to be with the crippling gas prices. I do not really see anyone in Washington doing anything about it. A few have given mouth service, but nothing comes of it. Something really has to be done. And done soon.

At least take away Big Oil's rocket up, feather float down gas prices. Something happens like Monday's refinery fire and gas at the pump goes up within hours and takes days and weeks to come back down. If it is to go up fast, it should be mandated to come down just as quickly.

Worried in Spring Grove. --RoadDog

No comments: