Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Usually Not Impressed with Grammys...But

This year's Grammy awards Show was one of the best I've ever seen.

From the get-go with Alicia Keyes singing with Frank Sinatra to that great oldies grouping of John Fogerty, Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard. this was a lot of fun.

Then there was the still-something else Tina Turner singing "What's Love Got to Do With It?" then Beyonce coming on to perform "Better Be Good to Me" and them doing a duet on "Proud Mary." Somewhere backstage, John Fogerty had to be smiling.

If anyone has more fun than Brad Paisley, I'd sure like to know who they are. Who would have ever dreamed that someone would have a hit songs with a subject like "Ticks?"

Then, there was that great gospel part. What a finish!!

Kanye West was more than a bit strange.

Is it possible that Dave Stewart and Ringo Starr are brothers? Sure saw a family resemblance there.

Then, Vince Gill won a Grammy and said, "I just got an award given to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?"

I didn't think I was going to like the two pianists playing "Rhapsody in Blue" but they and the backing orchestra too Dueling Pianos to a whole new level.

The highlight of the show, other than the finale, but that's just because I'm gettin' old, was the performance by Amy Winehouse. I'd heard her "Rehab" song, but nothing else other than her "problems" and even that not much because I won't watch Entertainment Tonight or that ilk of show.

She just blew me away. Talk about bringing back 60s-70s soul!!! She received a whole lot of awards and I felt obliged to go out and buy her album the next week. It is as good as I thought it might be.

Lifetime Achievement Awards went to the Band (one of my all-time favorite songs is "The Weight," Burt Bacharach, and Cab Calloway, all very deserving.

And then there was the finale with John Fogerty, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis jamming. Does Little Richard ever change? Jerry Lee looks his age, and of course, John was John. How do you get better than that?

Sure Enjoyed the Show. --RoadDog

No comments: