Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, May 19, 2008

Happenings Twenty Years Ago This Month-- 86 Cents Gas!!!

I've been keeping a journal since 1978 which brings back a lot of memories of things i would have completely forgotten about had I not written them down.

I went over what I was doing during May of 1988.


SICK

I was quite sick for a lot of the month after having eaten a bad oyster at Crystle's on April 22nd. I suffered from vomiting and diarrhea for a long time and just couldn't eat. I dropped to 168 pounds the hard way and was just getting it under control after visiting Dr. Miller and getting medication.


LOTS OF DEEJAYING

I was deejaying a lot back then. During the month, I entertained twenty times: 11 at Crystle's, 1 at Out Bak's on Long Lake, 5 times at schools, and had 3 private parties.

I ended up getting paid $2150 for the month. Not bad pay for having a good time.

I was complaining about a lack of any record stores in Round Lake or Fox Lake.


BOATING

The first boat we had, a 1980 Imperial, was having problems with the trim cylinders which would cost $165 apiece. Rick Reynolds was working on it. We finally found out the problem was not enough oil in the hydraulic pump. Put oil in and it worked fine. The oil was about $2.


OTHER STUFF

Vietnam Veteran Mr. Long came into my class and talked about his experiences.

Binnie's opened on Il-134. Had the best-ever Polish sandwiches, a real "Meal on a Bun."


GAS PRICES!!!

GAS PRICES in Fox Lake had been UP to 90 cents a gallon during the winter, but had DROPPED to 86 cents in May. How about that?

Prices for gas at the marinas varied from the rip-off $1.45 at Harmony to $1.09 at Inland Harbor. Don't we wish?


BRANDY the MUTT


On the 19th, took our dog Brandy, to Dr. Huckstadt, the veterinarian. This was always embarrassing as she would have a fit and bark the whole time. Everyone would be looking at me. This time, for some reason, she was behaved and both the vet and receptionists remarked about it.


BIRTHDAY

On May 24th, my 37th birthday, we went to Liz's mom's in Arlington Hts, where she made me one of my favorite meals, Texas Steak. I sure liked that meal. Afterwards I went to Sound Warehouse on Dundee Road and bought some albums and CDs.

I Would Have Forgotten Most of This Stuff If I Had Not Written It Down. --RoadDog

No comments: