Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, December 5, 2008

Back Home Again

As much as I like traveling, it's always great to get back home again. I got in at about 7:30 PM last night after driving from White House (north of Nashville), Tennessee, where I spend Wednesday night with my nephew and his family.


WEDNESDAY

I left Goldsboro, NC, Wednesday morning and drove US-70 to I-40 and took it all the way to the outskirts of Nashville and then some backroads to their house. Gas was generally around $1.60 to $1.65 with the exception of around Asheville, NC, where it is always ten to twenty cents higher. Ate at the Golden Corral in Winston-Salem. I highly recommend these restaurants when you're on the road.

Interesting sight on the superslab was the pickup truck with a gun rack containing a rifle and an umbrella under it. I guess he didn't want to get wet while shooting something.

Enjoyed Andy and Andrea's kids, Charlie and Aylin, and got to watch some of Charlie's favorite movie "Cars" which was on TV for the first time. Maybe we'll have another Route 66er as he gets older. Charlie is 5 and Aylin two and a half.


THURSDAY

Yesterday, I took I-65 all the way to Remington, Idiana, about half way between Chicago and Indianapolis, and then US-24 to Il-47. Had lunch at a KFC buffet in Lafayette, the Home of Purdue University. This place was not to far from the B-Dub (Buffalo Wild Wings) where we once had to drive back to after I forgot my drivers license which I had to turn in to get NTN boards.

Got the cheapest gas the whole trip at a Pilot station a little south of Indianapolis. It was, get this, $1.50 ($1.49.9)!!! Never thought I'd see gas under $2 again. Something I can definitely live with.

Also got gas at the Becker BP station in Dwight, Illinois, for $1.63. This station is right by the old Route 66 and sells lots of Mother Road memorabilia and is done in a Route 66 motiff, even the Burger King located in the store.

Superslabbin' and Good to Be Home. --RoadDog

No comments: