Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Where Were You December 7, 1969?

Good Old Bob Stroud had a Time Warp this last Sunday, back to Dec. 7th, 1969 and 1974.

I was in college in 1969 at Northern Illinois University and finishing up my first semester freshman year. I was having a great time with my dorm floor an Lincoln 3A, that's be third floor A wing. My roommate was Chuck Hartsell from Peoria and we had our own group called the Keggers. Later, it became an independent organization like a fraternity and even had their own house.

I was buying lots of 39 cent 45s at various places around Dekalb and back home in Palatine. These were 45s that had been on jukeboxes and you had to check for wear and scratches. A brand new 45 cost 99 cents. That was a lot of money for me back in those days.

Unfortunately, I slept through the first six songs since he starts at 7 AM CST. His comments follow. Mine are in parentheses.

EVIL WOMAN-- CROW-- (Definitely a heavy song)
HEAVEN KNOWS-- GRASS ROOTS-- (a much underrated group)
EARLY IN THE MORNING-- VANITY FAIR--
AND WHEN I DIE-- BS&T-- By Laura Nyro, one of three tunes she penned that were in the charts--(This and Lucretia MacEvil are my favorite Sweat songs)

BABY IT'S YOU-- SMITH--
UP ON CRIPPLE CREEK-- BAND-- From their second, self-titled album-- (bought all their albums as they released them, as I also did for Creedence)
FORTUNATE SON-- CCR-- one half of a two-sided hit-- (If I had to chose just one all-time favorite group, this would be it.)
HOLLY HOLY-- NEIL DIAMOND--

SUITE; JUDY BLUE EYES-- CSN-- the second single off their Crosby Stills and Nash album-- ( a third group I'd buy every album as released.

More to Come. --RoadDog

No comments: