Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Record Store Day is This Saturday, April 18th

The Second annual Record Store Day is fast approaching. Be sure to get out and visit and support your local mom and pop record store. These stores are fast disappearing as is so much that I like and hold dear. This all in the name of progress. But, I like my old stuff and cling on as long as I can.

Nothing finer than flipping through bins of albums and talking music with folk of like nature. In the last few years, I've lost two of my favorites" The Record Rack in Goldsboro, NC, and Full Cyrkle in Crystal Lake, Illinois. I'll be in Springfield, Illinois, on the 18th and will visit an old CD shop near the Hilton Hotel downtown. I can't remember the name right now.

More than a thousand stores world wide are participating. Special 7-inch discs will be released.

The number of "mom and pop" record stores has dropped drastically since the beginning of the 1990s when there were around 7,000. Fewer than 2,000 are around today. Actually, there has been a resurgence of interest in vinyl whose sales climbed 89% last year to 1.8 million.

There are 29 of these stores in the Chicagoland area with more spread throughout Illinois.

I see that another favorite one of mine dating from 1974 in Dekalb, Illinois, the Record Revolution was not listed as a participant, but this is a good place to visit as well.

So get out to support your local record store!!

Albums Rule!!! --RoadDog

No comments: