Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Water-wise Lawn-- Part 3

Continuing from April 11th.

As I said, cut high and accept summer dormancy. Those lawns don't have to be lush green all summer. And, it takes a LOT of water.

Another biggie to me is #9. Fertilize, but not too much. A lawn should not need the five-times a year fertilizing that the fertilizer companies say is optimal. I wonder why they would say that. Twice a year is enough. Plus, when you don't fertilize or water, it doesn't grow as fast which means fewer cuttings.

I go many years without doing it at all. I do have a triple mulching blade on my mower deck, so that helps a lot as well. That is self-fertilizing of the cheapest kind.

Plus, #4, get sturdy grass. Most of mine is fescue with a little bluegrass in spots and other grasses.

As far as watering, I don't water the grass, except where it gets it from the flower beds. That is, unless there is an extended drought and then, just over the septic fields. Grass is resilient and will come back.

It's a Green Thing. --RoadDog

No comments: