Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Where Were You April 5, 1973?-- Part 1

Bob Stroud jumped ahead five years for the second part of his time warp.

I was a senior at Northern Illinois University, preparing to graduate. I was living with Liz's parents in Palatine, Illinois, while doing my student teaching at Maine West High School in Des Plaines. I had two teachers overseeing me, Mr. Magnuson for freshman geography, my minor, and Mr. Winter for sophomore world history.

Sure was frightening that first time I got up to teach class and saw all those eyes looking at me. And, I was just six years older than the sophomores. I ended up teaching 33 years, so must have survived student teaching.

These songs certainly reminded me of driving back and forth to school.

DRIFT AWAY-- DOBIE GRAY-- Man, you can just smell the 70s, can't you
STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU-- STEALER'S WHEEL (I think Gerry Rafferty sang with them.)

THE CISCO KID-- WAR-- brand new
DANCING IN THE MOONLIGHT-- KING HARVEST-- one hit wonder, named selves after the Band song.

YOU'RE SO VAIN-- CARLY SIMON-- with help from Mick Jagger. (Was she singing about him? Probably not, no prancing.)
LITTLE WILLY-- SWEET-- some of the glam rock that was creeping into the radio.

HUMMINGBIRD-- SEALS AND CROFTS-- (My favorite S & C song. Seals was the brother of Dan Seals aka England Dan of the duo England Dan and John Ford Coley. Dan Seals just died and had that great country song "Bop."
CALL ME (COME BACK HOME)-- AL GREEN-- there was a period of time of about 4-5 years where it seemed like there was always a great Al Green song on the radio, including this period. Al's latest release. (As the Beach Music deejays like to say, The Right Reverend, Al Green.)

Hey, I Have to Stop for the 32 Cent Gas. --RoadDog

No comments: