Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

A Water-wise Lawn-- Part 2

My comments on Beth Botts' Chicago Tribune article from earlier today.

I agree with #1 and #7 completely. I always move the cutting setting up during the summer and move it down in the spring and fall. Part of the reason for lower settings in the spring is that I don't want the grass to get ahead of me. With an acre of land to cut (minus the flower beds and house, of course), I can't let it get too far ahead of me.

Come the dry days, my grass goes brown. It will come back. However, I did learn in the mini-drought we had a few years ago, that you'd better water over the septic field. All my grass came back within a week once the rains came, except that over the septic lines, which took three years to get back, and even then, it's weak.

Since we're on well water in the subdivision, this saves electricity for the pump and water. I'm not sure how much water we have down there. Several of my neighbors insist on keeping a perfectly green lawn at all times and I was more than a bit worried during the drought that they were going to use up all the water down there.

If I don't have water to drink or shower in because of their yard, I would have been quite upset to say the least.

In short, cut high and embrace the summer dormancy.

More Green Stuff to Come. --RoadDog

No comments: