Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Where Were You Spring 1967?-- Part 4

One thing about songs from back then, you can sure fit a lot of them in a three-hour show, which is exactly what Bob Stroud did.  Sure enjoyed it.  Hope some of these are bringing back memories for you.  Stroud's comments first.  Mine in parentheses.

MY BACK PAGES--  BYRDS--  current release, a Dylan tune.
SWEETS FOR MY SWEET--  RIDDLES--  A good time to be a band in Chicago as chances were pretty good you'd get played on the radio on one of the two AM giants.  I can't imagine that happening today.  (The two giants on AM would be WLS and WCFL.  I hadn't heard this one for a VERY long time.  What a great song!!)

DEDICATED TO THE ONE I LOVE--  MAMAS AND PAPAS--  Written by an artist who has been folk in the beginning, but now firmly entrenched in pop and rock, John Phillips, leader of the group.  Brilliant rerecording of an old Shirelles classic.  (I didn't know he wrote it so looked it up in Wikipedia which said it was written by Lowman Pauling and Ralph Bass.  So, who wrote it?)
)
HAPPY JACK--  WHO--  first U.S. hit.  (And I always thought it was "I Can See for Miles.")

YOU GOT WHAT IT TAKES--  DAVE CLARK FIVE--  One of their last U.S. hits.  (And, I liked them just as much as Beatles.)
JIMMY MACK--  MARTHA REEVES--  Motown rescued an old Martha and the Vandellas song, put it out and it became a big hit for the leader of the group, Martha Reeves.  (And here I always thought it was performed by Martha AND THE VANDELLAS.)

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH--  BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD--  The first of a couple tunes by Stephen Stills.  This one with his group, their debut album.  (And, a big reason I got into country rock.)
SIT DOWN I THINK I LOVE YOU--  MOJO MEN--  San Francisco group.

There's a Man with a Gun Over There.  --RoadDog


TOO PUNNY:  They told me I had type A blood, but it was a Type O.






No comments: