Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Is Winter Over?-- Part 2

You'd think that with Uncle Al's Global Warming, winters would be getting warmer, not colder and snowier, but that is what has happened the past three winters, with this one being the worst of them. The first two were bad in December and January and acceptable in February. This one stayed bad until March.

My poor snow blower, which was adequate until the 2008-2009 winter, is undersized to handle the new snow amounts. but more than enough before that. When it breaks down, I will get a bigger one or move to a warmer climate here in the US if I can find one.


THE LAST REALLY BAD WINTERS

The last really bad winters before this were 1975-76, 1976-77 and 1977-78. In the last one, the roof of our local K-Mart in Round Lake Beach, Illinois, collapsed and I was running out of places to shovel the snow on the sides of the driveway.

I was using the old snow shovel back then and really had to oomph it to throw the snow up in the piles on either side. Thankfully, this was a MUCH smaller driveway and I was MUCH younger and in better shape.

After those three winters, I don't regard the winters as being too bad. Sure we'd get snow, sometimes as much as ten inches, but it would melt. And, we would get cold snaps, but then it would warm up. I could live with that situation.


WHAT GLOBAL WARMING?

But these last three winters, and especially the last one, it gets cold and stays cold. We get snow and it stays. This last one we had snow on the ground from early December and there is a little still left today. Until this past week, from early December until this last week, we had one or two days above freezing.

And, let's not forget the extremely cool summer and fall of 2009.


ROBINS

However, yesterday, when I went out to get the newspaper, I saw at least four robins. It would be neat if one or more were some of the babies we had on the back deck over the years, especially the three who hatched last summer.

And to Think, I Used to Feel Sorry for the Area Snowmobilers. --RoadDog

No comments: