Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Moose Skowron

I was very sorry to read that one of my all-time favorite Chicago White Sox players, Bill Skowron, better known as "Moose" is suffering from lung cancer, but is battling the disease every step of the way at age 80.

He played for the Sox right when I was getting interested in baseball, from 1964 to 1967, and for a few months until he was traded, a member of my all-time favorite Sox team in 1967, the team that broke my heart when they could have won the AL pennant until they folded the last five games. They had traded Moose in May. Had he, with all his World Series experience, ten times, been with the team, I don't think it would have happened.

The first time I was at old Comiskey Park, I heard all the fans booing him when he came up to bat. It turns out they were yelling "Moose."

His lifetime stats: batting average was .282, 211 home runs and 888 rbis.

I'll write more about him in my history blog at http://cootershistorything.blogspot.com.

First we lose Santo, and now this!!

One Great Ballplayer. --RoadDog

No comments: