Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Salute to Our Veterans

Of course, the reason we have Memorial Day, is to honor those who have served in the defense of our country.

I belong to the Fox Lake American Legion as a member of the Sons of the American Legion due to my grandfather William Graham Hood's (we called him Daddy Graham)service in World War I (he was one of the first Legion members in the state of North Carolina.

My other grandfather, was in the Merchant Marine during World War I.

A great uncle on my mom's side, was a lieutenant in the AEF during World War I. He survived being gassed in the trenches, but lost his life a few months after returning to Goldsboro, NC, when he saved a young boy from a flood, winning the Carnegie Medal.

I was in the Marine Corps for awhile back in the early 70s. I went to basic training for six weeks (I was in Platoon Leadership Class to be an officer) during the summer of 1971. As the Vietnam War wound down, they dropped me (which was quite alright with me).

Dad was too young for World War II, but his brother served in the 101st Airborne.

Like They Say, "Freedom Ain't Free." --RoadDog

No comments: