Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, April 30, 2012

A Roots Salute to Levon Helm

Sadly, Band drummer Levon Helm died ten days ago and Bob Stroud did his Rock and Roll Roots Show on WDRV in Chicago on him yesterday.

He played songs that Helms sang lead on.  Of course, three of them were among my all time favorites.  I like both "Up On Cripple Creek" and "The Weight," even singing the latter on occasion at karaoke.  But, my favorite is "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down."  As a Southerner by birth and member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, this one always gets to me.  That voice, those words...too much.

The Band was also one of my favorite groups from the era with their country-style rock sound.  Plus, Helm was very involved with the newer Americana genre of music. After listening to the songs Stroud played, I'd have to say that the Band were among the first to play that music.  If you'd like to hear some American music, go to Cashbox Magazine and click on the Americana Weekly Countdown.

Here Are the Helm songs:

Up on Cripple Creek
The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
Rag Mama Rag
Strawberry Wine
Daniel and the Sacred Harp

Life Is a Carnival
When I Paint My Masterpiece
Don't Break My heart
Ain't Got No Home
Mystery Train

Ophelia
I Don't Want to Hang Up My Rock and Roll Shoes
The Weight

Also, Stroud played "Levon" by Elton John,"Listen to the Band" by the Monkees, and in honor of Spirit's drummer having a birthday "Mr. Skin."  Of course, two songs by Ringo Starr.  See if you can guess the significance of these songs.

We'll Miss Him.  --RoadDog

No comments: