Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, April 9, 2012

Where Were You April 8, 1970?-- Part 1: It's a Beach Music Thing for Me.

Yesterday, Bob Stroud did a Time Warp on his Rock and Roll Roots Show on the Drive, 97.1 FM back to April 8th both 1970 and 1980. Lots of good music then.

He played "Give Me Just a Little More Time" by Chairman of the Board. This was a favorite of mine back in 1970. I didn't know it at the time, but this song was going to become what was coined in the 1980s as Beach Music.

I already was a big fan of soul music and especially that great Motown stuff and this was greatly reinforced every time we took a summer vacation to North Carolina. You would hear a lot of soul music on the radio, plus my Goldsboro buddies Ronnie and Keith were big into it.

My parents told me about this new genre called Beach Music in the 80s and I was hooked right away. Right now, I am listening to 94.9 the Surf out of North Myrtle Beach, SC, which is considered to be the Heart of Beach Music. Often I listen to Beach Boogie and Blues on WNCT 1070 AM out of Greenville, NC.

This internet sure keeps me in tune with Beach Music which I can't get on local stations here in northern Illinois. Thanks, internet!!

Beach Music is mostly east coast or southern soul that was and still is played along the east coast of the US in southern states. It is not the Beach Music of the Beach Boys or Jan and Dean. It sometimes is called Carolina Beach Music.

"Give me Just a Little More Time." --RoadDog

No comments: