Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Where Were You April 8, 1970?-- Part 1: Pledging Delta Sigma Phi

I was pledging Delta Sigma Phi fraternity at Northern Illinois University in Dekalb at the time along with my good buddy Bob from Rockford. Our house was on Augusta Avenue. It was a blast and I was having the time of my life.

This was back in the days of hazing and it sure happened to us. There were always the fun paddle exchanges, plus all sorts of inane stuff we had to do like carry the "Bomb" around and make sure no sorority stole it. The bomb was an empty bomb shell about three feet high that pledges had to carry around campus and guard with our lives.

There were always the fun commands to count the bowling balls in the Union as well as the number of holes on the ceiling and the always-fun say the Greek alphabet three times on a match before it burned your fingers.

The pledges had to really stick together and make sure no actives took any of us for a "ride." Most of the actives were alright, but some went out of their way to make our lives as miserable as possible.

All In All, I'd Have to Say That This Was the Most Fun I Had in the Fraternity, Though. --RoadDog


WILL ROGERS SAYS: If I studied all my life, I couldn't think up half the number of funny things passed in one session of Congress.

No comments: