Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Billboard Top Ten Singles of 1974

The article about the Top 40 format becoming hot also had a list of the top ten songs for 1974 along with what kind of musical genre the songs were in. You know me, I have a hard time resisting any kind of a music list, so here goes:

Ones I really like have an asterisk (*). I did not much care for 1, 2,4,6 and 7.

1. THE WAY WE WERE-- BARBRA STREISAND-- (pop)
2. SEASONS IN THE SUN-- TERRY JACKS-- (pop)
3. *THE STREAK-- RAY STEVENS-- (country) I'd also call it novelty. "Don't look, Ethel!!"

4. (YOU'RE) HAVING MY BABY-- PAUL ANKA AND ODIA COATES-- (pop) If there was ever another gag song worse than this, I'd sure like to know it.
5. *KUNG FU FIGHTING-- CARL DOUGLAS-- (Rock) Nice this was one fun song. Wonder how many folks got kicked out on the dance floor?
6. BILLY, DON'T BE A HERO-- BO DONALDSON AND THE HEYWOODS-- (pop)

7. ANNIE'S SONG-- JOHN DENVER-- (country) My foot this is country!! What would David Allan say?
8. *THE LOCO-MOTION-- GRAND FUNK-- (Rock)-- Great remake of Little Eva's sixties song. There were definitely two Grand Funk Railroads.
9. *TSOP (THE SOUND OF PHILADELPHIA)-- MFSB & THREE DEGREES-- (pop) I would have called R&B.

10. *I CAN HELP-- BILLY SWAN-- (Rock) I would also say country. The ending went on and on and on.

Not a Great Year for Top Ten. --RoadDog

No comments: