Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Thirty Years Ago Today, I Got My Deejay Equipment

One nice thing about keeping a journal since the summer of 1978 is that I can look back at things and bring back those memories.

Right now, I'm looking at 1983, a "mere" thirty years ago.  The big news today, Feb. 9, 1983, was that I had finally gotten all my equipment from Stereo Studio (no longer in business) on Palatine Road in Buffalo Grove to start my deejay business.

I had spent most all of 1982 learning the trade and playing on the equipment of various places.  I was now ready to go out on my own and make some more money.  And I sure did.  At one point, I almost earned as much money deejaying part time as I did teaching full time.

Over the years I built up quite a record, cassette and CD collection as well as a lot of now antiquated equipment.  I did pay for the lot we built on as well as the basement.

I continued deejaying until my very last job, St, Patrick's Day in 2011.  I am now retired from it as deejay jobs kept getting in teh way of being retired from teaching and the fact I was still using cassette tapes, a tad behind the times.

And speaking of deejaying, listening to a Mardi Gras album right now and Beausleil's "Maman Rosin Boudreaux" just came on.  I played this song a lot around every Mardi Gras.  As good of a Mardi Gras song as you'll ever find.  Combined Cajun, zydeco and second line sounds.

Like good old Ernie Edwards used to say when he closed his famous PigHip Restaurant in Broadwell, Illinois:

"The Equipment Was Getting Old and So Was I."  --RoadDog

No comments: